It has been estimated that about 60% of men and women experience some or the other form of hair loss issues which results in hair thinning or balding. People often choose using some topical treatments like Minoxidil, Rogaine to treat such issues. Another most effective hair restoration method is Hair Transplant. But the question is, is hair restoration worth it?
Hair transplant is worth it when it comes to adding more hair to a specific portion of the scalp that is prone to thinning or balding. The procedure is executed by taking hair from thicker parts of the scalp or from other parts of the body to the balding section. These extracted hair follicles are grafted to the hair thinning or bald areas.
Is Hair Transplant worth it?
Hair Transplant works like a miracle for some people, especially those who stick to the instructions provided by the cosmetic surgeon. But there are some factors that can help you to achieve a satisfactory result-
- Near about 10 to 80 percent of the transplanted hair will actually fully grow back within three to four months.
- Just like normal hair, the transplanted hair may also start thinning over time.
- People with dormant hair follicles might have the least effective transplants that plasma therapy can help to grow near about 75% of transplanted hairs to fully grow.
Hair transplants may not be equally effective for everyone. It is mainly used to restore hair if you are suffering from natural hair thinning or have lost hair due to an injury. Most of the hair transplants are done with your existing hair so that they are as effective for treating people with hair thinning, baldness, hair loss due to chemotherapy, side effect of particular medicines or thick scalp injuries.
The recovery period is much less for any Hair Transplant procedure and you can join your daily chore within 3 to 5 days after the surgery. So if you are still worrying, “is hair transplant worth it?” The answer is “YES”!
Hair transplant procedure:-
Hair Transplant can be performed in two procedures- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant).
For patients comfort, surgeons usually sterilize the area from where the hair will be removed and then numbs the spot with local anesthesia. You can also request sedation in order to stay asleep while continuing the procedure.
- FUT or Follicular Unit Transplantation- This is also known as follicular unit strip surgery where the surgeon uses a scalpel to remove a piece of your scalp, usually from the back of your head. The strip size is about 6 to 10 inches long but can stretch across ears. From this scalp strip, the surgeon splits up to 2000 smaller fragments called grafts. Some of these grafts may contain only one hair and some might be rejected. Then the surgeon makes small holes in your scalp to transplant each hair which is popular as hair grafting. Finally, the surgical site is stitched back and bandaged for recovery.
- FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction- This is another procedure that is performed by shaving off the back of your head. The surgeon then takes individual hair follicles from the scalp to graft these hair follicles in your scalp. At the end of the procedure, the surgical site is again bandaged for rapid recovery.
FUT or FUE may take several hours to complete in parts as that depends on the amount of work performed by the surgeon. Patients will be allowed to go home the same day of undergoing the procedure. Your scalp might be bandaged for several days. The treated area will mostly be swollen for a few days. Surgeons usually provide specific medications or injections to keep the swelling and pain down. It is obvious for patients to feel some pain and soreness at the transplant site as well as in the area where hair was taken from. For the next few days, surgeons might prescribe specific medications for quick healing.
Why choose us?
Dr. Sagar Gundewar from Artius Clinic understands the importance of a decision to seek treatment for hair loss. He can make you feel confident about your choice so that you have a positive and successful experience.
When you are selecting a physician for your hair restoration treatment, there are many important factors to be considered. It is very essential to know that your physician has received proper training and is still keeping himself updated and adopting the latest procedures for hair restoration.
Dr. Sagar is an Indian Board certified surgeon who has been practising for over 30 years. He has helped thousands of patients to regain their self-confidence and positive self-image through hair restoration. So if you have chosen Dr. Sagar for undergoing hair transplant, then you are in the right direction.