Post Hair Transplant Tips
Hair loss can be disturbing and may also be inevitable. Issues related to hair loss may also give rise to undesirable baldness. But the good news is that now there are numerous ways to address a receding hairline one of which is Hair Transplant surgery. Hair Transplant surgery is indeed a delicate procedure but the best surgical hair restoration method where the hair follicles form a part of the scalp is referred to as the donor site and is transferred to the balding part of the head which is called recipient site. However, Hair Transplant procedure has become popular enough among numerous men and women.
But people before undergoing the hair transplant procedure must be well aware of certain things like things to do after the procedure especially following the instructions provided by your surgeon. So here the following the Do’s and Don’ts after following a Hair Transplant surgery.
Read Also: Treatment Options For Hair Loss
- Since Hair Transplantation is performed on an out-patient basis so patients can go back to their home after completing the surgery. But there must be someone with the patient who can drive the patient home because of the lingering effect of any anesthetic sedative administered. This anesthetic effect is helpful in reducing the pain but driving in sedative effect may pose danger.
- The scalp must be kept dry especially on the first day to allow the skin to heal completely. The area around the scalp must be kept clean for the entire recovery period. The pain and soreness, scaring and itchiness may still exist during the recovery period. But putting something on the scalp that is not recommended by the surgeon may make the procedure complicated.
- The scar must also be taken care. The antibiotic topical cream must be applied which will help to prevent the infection and reduce the irritation of the scalp and swelling. If the cream seems not enough to alleviate the condition then a consultation with your surgeon is imperative.
- Surgeons do recommend the intake of painkillers after three to four hours of undergoing the procedure since this is the time when anesthesia effect starts wearing off and a minor feeling of soreness or swelling may persist.
- Patients are also advised to sleep in a semi-upright position and use more pillows to elevate the head especially on the first night and following few nights after undergoing the procedure. This should be followed so that the newly transplanted hairs do not get rubbed against the pillow.
- Start washing and shampooing your hair few days after the surgery since this will help the scabs and dead skin cells to peel off and accelerate the healing process.
- Avoid exposing your head to direct sunlight even after few days of undergoing the procedure. But if you cannot avoid going out in the sun wear a hat.
- After enduring the transplantation method a little itching or some soreness may be normal but do not touch or agitate or rub the newly transplanted grafts since the new grafts may fall out and never grow back.
- Drinking alcohol for the first few days after the surgery is restricted strictly since it interferes with the blood supply to the head.
- In fact, smoking is also restricted for the entire month as that too may interrupt the blood flow to the hair follicles. Completely giving up smoking can also speed up the growth of the new hair.
- Vigorous exercises must also be avoided until a week after the surgery. Though exercises with a minimum physical strain may be resumed at around ten days after the procedure. Other sports like basketball or soccer will be prohibited until about a month.
- The patients must avoid activities that cause excessive sweating because perspiration increases the risk of getting an infection to a great extent.
- Bending forward, leaning forward or blowing the nose violently is also prohibited on the first week.
However, at the end of the day, this must be remembered that each surgeon may have a different set of the perspective of instructions that the patients must follow strictly. More importantly, different patients may have different recovery time to heal completely. The new hair may start growing within 3 to 6 months after following the surgery. So follow the instructions carefully and enjoy the best Hair Transplantation results.